Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Let someone else dress you?


Ever wonder how someone else would dress you? This is the leather jacket that my boyfriend got me for Christmas. Generally, anything that I would get as a key piece in my wardrobe I would take it upon myself to get, but my boyfriend took advantage of the opportunity. I told him I'd been wanting a brown leather jacket for a while, but I didn't think he would get me one as I thought we had previously decided that getting clothes for each other was off limits. 

The boyfriend and I have differing views on what makes a good leather jacket. I imagined myself in something more like the Belstaff bomber jacket that was done for JCrew:


I like the edgy toughness of it. I also like bombers in general. I generally like clothes that make me feel ready to punch someone out. Frederick (boyfriend) hates banding at the bottom and ribbing, which consequently means he hates the bomber silhouette. He finds it pointless.  He rides a motorcycle and has spent a substantial amount of time thinking about what a leather jacket should have. 

His primary focus is looking good but being functional. Any embellishment on a jacket needs to serve a purpose so breaking down the jacket I'm wearing in the picture, it has two breast pockets and waist pockets for storage, I've never really understood belts so I'm figuring it's a structure thing - I mostly wear it open as shown. There's a ribbed collar that fastens with a latch for added neck warmth.  


Here's me trying to girl up the jacket a bit. It can go boyish or girly, which I like. I'll admit, I never really considered functionality and it was really nice to receive this as a gift from someone who does. It was really a surprise because contrary to how much I thought I knew my own style, I really liked this jacket a lot.

No comments: