Monday, January 7, 2013

2013 - Catch Up

So I'll admit, I've spent the last few days watching season 4 of RuPaul's Drag Race.


No kidding when people say this show is the best reality show on television. It has all of the best aspects of America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, True Life, Made, and occasionally American Idol. 

What I get out of watching it:
  • Makeup & Style Tips
  • More insight into a culture I have not lived through
  • More resolve to be the best mom possible when my time comes
One thing that I also like about the show is that appearing on this show actually raises awareness and helps the careers of the queens that go on. 

When it comes to make up and styling, I honestly like the transformation and seeing how big of a difference makeup can make. Make up is fun now and I like painting my face. Showing how the queens transform definitely has helped me with my makeup application skills. It just makes more sense now. I think part of it has to do with how exaggerated the makeup looks at first, and then it's just a matter of blending. With makeup, there's a degree of naturalness that women want to achieve that makes figuring out all the subtleties really hard, but it's easy to see crazy and scale back. With this, my absolute favorite part (besides ALL OF IT) is how there's a variety of queens from different backgrounds and I see them do things with makeup that I never thought of. Generally, shows involving models have girls that fit a certain mold, they're already great looking so it's hard to relate make up wise. Here are the main ones I like to look to:


Raja

Manila Luzon

 Ongina

 Dida Ritz

 Tyra Sanchez

Tyra Sanchez and Dita Ritz may as well have been designed by Byron Lars himself. It just doesn't get any better. As for season 4, I love Sharon Needles. Her make up wouldn't necessarily work on me, but I think I'm beautiful too.

Some of my family don't really understand my obsession with the show, but honestly, these are some of the toughest guys out there. 

No comments: