Thursday, January 24, 2013

Nerd for Life: Approach for Make Up

Maybe I'm not so much a nerd as much as I need to organize my thoughts in a spreadsheet/chart type manner. In my old age, I'm getting forgetful, you know.

Since I'm not exactly a makeup virtuoso, I have to practice it. Watching RuPaul's Drag Race usually gets me in the mood to want to improve my chops.

For someone who doesn't wear much make up, I've managed to acquire a lot of eye shadow. Here it is sorted into a palette by type.


One thing I like to do is play with the eye shadow on paper because my eyes can only take so much of a makeup beating.


The main idea is to get inspiration for the color palette.


It's like water colors. Except it's actually dry color. Anyway, another good tip given by my little sister is that if you like..."big" makeup like me, there has to be some kind of contrast and it can't be too close to the hue of my skin. Sometimes all it takes is just some eyeliner and lipstick. 

As I practice my makeup, when I come across a look I like or one that works, I outline it on a spreadsheet. Yes. I outline it on a spreadsheet:

Focus/Lips/Eye shadows/Eye Shadow Procedure/Blush/Notes

As someone who owns a lot of different eye shadows and about thirteen lipsticks, I can't experiment every time I go out. Also, a lot of lipstick removal creates some irritation. Spreadsheets and charts are not exactly glamorous, nor are they spontaneously artistic, but they are practical. I also can't help that I'm a nerd and, honestly, I don't want to. Makeup should be fun for everyone. :)    

No comments: