Saturday, December 29, 2012

Greetings from Chicago. Real Winter Weather Dressing


Yes, that's real snow. No, it didn't melt by noon.

I'm currently in the Chicago land area visiting with my boyfriends parents. I came here last year too. Admittedly in 2011, the only thing I was adequately prepared for sleeping. The second time around I've actually packed less and feel I am much more prepared.

If you happen to be from Texas, or for that matter any other place that gets really cold for a total of two non-consecutive weeks and snows less than two days out of the year MAX (and usually that snow if gone by noon time) then it might be very easy to over estimate your needs for cold weather. Luckily, my boyfriend is from this area so he gave me a few tips here & there.

Ground Rule:

- don't try to make a statement, keeping warm should be the main priority.

It really seems like this was the also the priority of pretty much everyone walking on the street. This emphasis on warmth also allows you to focus on other things like enjoying the scenery.


And there was a lot of it to enjoy. I feel like I've taken these pictures before, but snow really changes the game. It was unseasonably warm last year and Chicago didn't get any snow.

Packing for five days of this kind of weather will need these minimums: (Based off of what I used)

- Long sleeve Thermals (2)
- Long underwear (1)
- Pants (3) make sure you can wear your long underwear under all of them.
- Sweaters (3) - I've only worn two so far
- Undershirts (2-3)
- Underwear
- Socks (3 pairs and thick)
- Shoes (2 pairs good for long distance walking)
- Insulated Down Jacket (they don't have to be too bulky and usually the exterior is waterproof in case it starts snowing)
- Hat that covers ears
- Cashmere scarf
- Leather gloves

That should be good. One thing that I would've changed about my packing this year is acquiring a pair of insulated winter rain boots as they would be good for both snow and rain so they could get some use in Texas as well. I brought knit gloves last year. This year, I borrowed leather gloves from my sister and they did a much better job of blocking the wind. That wind chill factor is what will really get you. I borrowed the scarf from my mom and it made a huge difference in my face not being numb.

Anyway, here's more from my Chicago trekking:




Hope everyone is having a good holiday. I still find it odd when the snow doesn't go away by noon. Maybe we'll have a half snow day in Texas in January. Happy New Year!

No comments: