Monday, February 25, 2013

Oh Mercy


I watched The Warriors over the weekend. At first I found the opening odd because all the gang members were dressed the same.

I say to Frederick: "How come they're all wearing the same thing? What gangs do that these days?"

He says: "I don't think you're ready for this movie."



Moving on.

By the end of the movie I had a new found respect for movie gangsters of the 70s. Wear whatever the heck you want, if you're a badass, that's how you're going to look all the time. The same relationship also works for insecurity.

So that I don't spoil it for everyone, I'll just focus on a few noteworthy points. First off, because I'm from a different time, anytime there was a subway fight scene, I couldn't help but think that there was going to be a Michael Jackson dance off and that "Bad" was going to start playing. At least in my head it did, and they even had the guy on the roller skates!

Second, Mercy is pretty cool.




Yes, she probably was a prostitute, but I like the way she was styled, and that she was a tough chick. Generally revealing clothing seems a little more acceptable when you really don't have much of a figure. I like the casual use of her pencil/straight skirt even if I don't really approve of the high slit up the front. I'd personally like to wear pencils skirts more casually, but I've found my biggest issue is usually fabric. It's hard to dress down business wool, or silk skirts or generally anything that needs to be dry cleaned so I find myself looking more towards cotton and cotton blends, you know, something I could wear to the grocery store, but something I could also kick some ass in. I'll either have to make my own or do some vintage etsy-ebay searching. It's a little hard because even a normal pencil skirt that's black seems like too formal of a color. A tank or halter top seems like a pretty good way of toning down a pencil skirt, I also live in Austin, TX so the weather and social atmosphere are A-Okay for tanks and sandals. I'll give it a go. Vintage floral springtime is coming :)

Among other things:

Here's a young gangster James Remar. Once a fox, always a fox.

No comments: