Sunday, November 25, 2012

Reviewing Reviews: Dear American Apparel...

Dear American Apparel,

I love your site, merchandise, and the fact your clothes are sweatshop free and you pay a fair wage to your workers. I would just like let you know that the majority of the reviews on your website are veritably garbage. Except for the review listed below. Given that user generated feedback is a good reference for any holes in your item description, I think the focus on good quality reviews would be in your best interest. Please don't end up like Amazon.


    

by kay
April 28, 2009 
i am 5'4 & my measurements are 37-27-37. i got this in evergreen, size M. reaaaal cute. i was worried it might be too small for my taste--i dont usually like tight-fitting clothes for day wear. however, its a pretty good fit--a little bit tighter than how it looks on the slate model, but certainly not indecent or anything. the length is good too; i can wear it around my waist and it is plenty long. the color is great, too!
Fits? --
Recommend to a friend? --
2 out of 2 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you? Yes | No

Reply to this Review 
Sincerely, 

Concerned Consumer

Why the concern with reviews? I'm well acquainted with the Austin-based company Bazaarvoice. When looking at a description on any sales website, the main objective is that they are trying to sell you something. The beauty of customer based reviews is that they don't have that bias and they speak from experience. Often times, they can be more specific than the item description about things that could be potential deal breakers for customers and I'll have to admit, there is some satisfaction about being talked out of buying something. 

My vouching for Bazaarvoice (and consequent criticism of American Apparel's review system) is the fact that Bazaarvoice moderates the reviews for their clients to make sure that the reviews are relevant to the item. Nothing like:

"DELICIOUS SKIRTS!"

or

"I got this in a size small and I usually wear a size small..."

or

"PLEASE make the tri-colour grey the model is wearing, slate just doesn't cut is." 

Do any of these seem relevant or helpful? Could they help you make a decision? Possibly the first one if you plan on eating the skirt. (Yes, these reviews were taken from the American Apparel Website) 

Let's analyze why Kay from the USA's review is useful

    

by kay
April 28, 2009 
i am 5'4 & my measurements are 37-27-37. i got this in evergreen, size M. reaaaal cute. i was worried it might be too small for my taste--i dont usually like tight-fitting clothes for day wear. however, its a pretty good fit--a little bit tighter than how it looks on the slate model, but certainly not indecent or anything. the length is good too; i can wear it around my waist and it is plenty long. the color is great, too!
Fits? --
Recommend to a friend? --
2 out of 2 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you? Yes | No

Reply to this Review 
1.) She sets parameters

by giving her measurements, I have a baseline to go off of because the specifications on the website only cover the waist. I had to look on eBay for the specs of these skirts. The major thing here is I have her measurements to compare to mine and she even references a picture on the site for fit. This I find invaluable for two reasons. 

Yay for visual references!
2.) Sizes are not standard.

What does a "small" mean? What does a "medium" mean? Anyone who refers to sizes in that sense is kind of disregarding that fact. On top of that, American Apparel does not cater to American vanity sizing. A lot of the other reviews were really not helpful because of this despite their best intentions. Numbers would help make the review more objective.

3.) Your weight doesn't tell me anything.

My little sister weighs about ten pounds less than me, but her hip measurement is 2 inches larger than mine and we have the same waist measurement. Generally, she is a size larger than me. See? Weight doesn't tell me anything about distribution and for all I know, the person writing the review could have a small overall frame with muscular thighs. Weight doesn't tell as much as measurements. 

Now, save styling items or saying what you would wear it with for your blog, it doesn't help a review. Writing a good review is writing one that helps complete strangers make a decision. 

I'll review two not so well reviewed items shortly:
AA - Fleece Tulip Skirt
AA - Leisure Shirt

No comments: