Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Closet Monster: Obsession

While I have a lot of clothes, I don't necessarily wear them all with equal frequency. It's easy to skim though fashion and style blogs and see people in really pretty clothes, posing in a variety of places from roof tops to creek beds, obscure fields, bedrooms, and bathrooms; sitting, standing, leaning casually, attempting to lean casually. The only things I can capture well are ridiculousness and anger. I have a decent amount of energy and I spend the majority of my time on the move. I dance and while you can pose in anything, you cannot dance in just anything and I'll dress to accommodate the opportunity to bust a move anywhere. It is impractical to pose all day, unless it is your job, then it's mighty practical. Essentially, I have no reason to have so many clothes.


Maybe it's because I've been working from home for close to three months, the fact that my work attire consists of sweatpants or bed sheets seems to have changed my palette about clothes and the acquisition of clothes in general. At Anthropologie, I got kind of grossed out by how the marketing scheme would justify a price of $50 for a jersey shirt that really had no indicators of deserving that price. Wanting to play with clothes is a good mental exercise and I'm a supporter of the arts, but it is very mind boggling how some can get obsessed with constant wanting and acquisition followed by the need to showcase. People get impressed with that and then the cycle continues. That is gluttony and also such a vicious, detrimental cycle.

I enjoy buying art supplies. I don't really use them for artsy endeavors, but I like owning them and feel pretty bad about not using them.



Clothes are kind of the same thing. They're not really too different from color pencils sitting orderly and unused in their box. The colors are nice and I like keeping them as intact as possible, but they don't get worn. I went through a phase in college needing to acquire clothes for reasons and it gradually fell to acquiring clothes for no reason.

I'm currently on a clothing diet, trying to intake as little as possible into my wardrobe. Buying clothes ethically is like eating organic. My email gets pummeled with "junk food" ads for free shipping or a sale for clothes that are still marked up considerably high for what it cost to produce them. I'm contemplating altering some of my clothes to make them more wearable and also putting up some charity auctions for the purposes of downsizing, feeding myself, and most likely contributing to cancer research. I'm out to develop some healthier obsessions.

No comments: