Thursday, November 29, 2012

Product Review: American Apparel Fine Jersey Short Sleeve Leisure Shirt


Product Overview/Story:

I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some collared polos and these were $2 at the time!! That's enough to peak my curiosity.

So how did sizing work out?





My measurements in this case (I'd just eaten fried chicken) bust: 32.5" waist: 27" and hips: 36" multiply these by 2.54 for cm.

The camel colored shirt is the XS, while the cream colored shirt is XXS. The pictures really do showcase the differences between the XS and the XXS: XS is longer, less fitted, and the sleeves are longer. I would assume this is the pattern as you go higher in size. There was a comment about the shirt being looser in the waist, but tight in the chest and hips. It feels fitted, but it doesn't suffocate me. Both of the shirts in the picture had been laundered and while the XS was dried in the dryer, the XXS was laid flat to dry to avoid shrinkage.

I think the XXS sizing was a point of contention for a lot of people since the shirt is unisex, but AA also claims to not accommodate US vanity sizing. Along with the reviews saying that the shirt is tight at the hips and that it is hard to put on, it is easy to conceive how anyone could feel they would not possibly be a size XXS.

My recommendations:
- 34A and 32B are equivalent bust sizes and I think the XXS size maxes out at that
- A waist up to about 27" would work for the XXS size
- If your hips are larger than 36" that would cause the shirt to gather at the bottom.

When compared to their sizing chart, the chest has more give than they let on.

I'll admit, on the hips, the fit does get a little narrow, but I also think that is just so the shirt is easier to tuck in.    The price went up from $2 to $8 so I'm guessing the shirt got popular. It never hurts to lurk as I went crazy when I saw a rainbow of colors for this shirt go on sale.

Update: These are $2 at the American Apparel eBay online outlet. Ships only within the US.

No comments: