Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It's the shoes

For a while, I've thought: it's the feet that make the dancer, not the shoes.

I'm soon realizing that, if the feet make the dancer, swollen and bruised feet make an incapacitated dancer. If I keep using the shoes I have, I'm going to dance my way to certain injury.

I'm still on my hunt for a good pair of dancing shoes. Previously, I noted the Nike Air Troupe Mids which have gone on sale again since I blogged about them. I still haven't given in to buying them yet. Unlike Nike Air Troupe Mids, Nike Dunks are more varied and also come in low, mid, and hi options.

If you think about it, basketball shoes for dancing that involves a lot of twisting, turning, and jumping makes sense. It's understandable why a number of people dance in them.

The next thing to contend with is Nike Lifestyles - or street casual shoes that were inspired by athletic shoes. Are they still made with the specifications for the sport that inspired them? I'm leaning towards: no.

After a lot of disappointing searches, it occurred to me to look at sporting good stores online and then I remembered: Eastbay.com

Thank goodness for skater culture. The toes are reinforced with padding for skateboarding in addition to the basketball qualities of the original dunks. I'm going to assume that means I can get up on my toes if I want to. I found my shoes that encompass the support I need and wicked colors. Now it's just a matter of picking.

No comments: