Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Polyester is a B-ee-tch!

While I'm fond of learning new things, about 33%-50% of those new things are learned by trial and many many errors.

In my taking advantage of the Tax free weekend, I bought a shift dress at Banana Republic. It was only about $30 and unlike most of my other dresses, this one could be worn on a more regular basis. It was very Fall appropriate and that argument pushed me over the fact that it was 100% polyester.

After having the odd sense to wear it while still summery, it had absorbed it's fair share of my sweat and I thought to myself, "Ill just wash it, no big deal." Upon coming out of the dryer, nearly all of the seams had come out of the hem and sleeves.

Since I recently bought 3 new pairs of trousers, I brought one of them to the tailors and I took my dress along thinking that the seams wouldn't be a big deal. $28.50 for the dress hem, $18.50 for the sleeves. A grand $20 more than I paid for the entire dress. I have tailor loyalty already, so these are my go to people, but as much as I love them, I've decided that I'm going to try and sew the hems myself.

Polyester isn't exactly silk, and it's really delicate. It's not really the best of both worlds.

Moral of the story: Read care tags, and follow them.

No comments: