Sunday, February 12, 2012

Selling Cosmetics to a Chemistry Major #1

I was at MAC about a week ago searching for some inspiration. I am prone to extremely dry lips which is only exacerbated by cold weather. As such, my lips and any lipstick I would be wearing would crust off like bad leather.

In comes James, consultant for MAC

"Your lips probably dry out because of all the petroleum in chapstick, people think it moisturizes but it really helps dry out lips and constant application makes it worse."

Now, being a science-y person, I'm inclined to ask why but I don't want to put tons of pressure on James just for the details. I get directed to MAC's lip conditioner.

"My mother used to put chapstick on constantly"

Ahh...so it is based off of experience, okay.

[Me] "The first ingredient on the package is petrolatum." [James] "Oh, well it's different"

Based off patterns on how chemicals are named, petroleum and petrolatum have a shared parent somewhere back in their development line.

Upon asking for something that could remove makeup without drying out my lips, I get directed to the MAC's Water Charged mineral make up remover.

"It has water in it so that it doesn't leave an oily film."

I would imagine this comment related to how some people use baby oil as make up remover, otherwise I would have no idea how this statement would make sense. Despite having oil's hydrophobicity on my mind, the make up remover took the lipstick right off of my lips quite effectively.

"All of our products are cruelty free, they're not tested on animals, just our make up artists"

That technically still is animal testing, but whatever, I'm sold!

I, by no means, am trying to be a jerk to James for his level of chemical knowledge as much as I am just trying to relate that this is what really goes through my head when I'm make up shopping. I bought both of the mentioned products as they are actually very good products.

As for my inspiration, I could not help but dwell on James' story about his mother. Petroleum or any wax is suppose to create a protective barrier around the lips to prevent moisture loss. Applying chap stick to dry lips is like pouring oil in the desert, it's not going to help anything - the moisture is already lost. At this point, I contemplated how to add moisture to my lips and decided to put my Cetaphil facial moisturizer on my lips. It may seem odd, but chemicals can seep through your skin into your system, if I already moisturize my face, why not my lips? I added a slather of chap stick after that and my lips stayed moist and soft much longer. Thank you James! Overall, $45 for two good products and some inspiration.

No comments: