Monday, June 2, 2008

Portion Control

It's almost 1:30 AM (at least when I wrote this is was). I start work today in approximately 7 hours and I get to test how long it takes me to walk a mile because I live that close to campus (work). I should be sleeping, but I can't. So, why waste my time trying to fall asleep when I can blog? - There's no better time ;)

This subject is gradually becoming near and dear to me: portion control

I was organizing what little purses I have and I noticed that of the small "going out" purses I have, 3 of the 4 were of the Asian jacquard that you'd usually see on Qi Pao dresses. The one outlier was a present from a friend.

It's moving and reorganizing that gives me the opportunity to examine my wardrobe. It's also mildly depressing that I was unable to close my suitcase completely and despite the massive growth of my wardrobe, from my purse observation, it's still lacking.

Presumably, the average person has few special occasions - weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, lavish parties...etc etc. Casual outings are more frequent. It's not so simple to say that occasion wear in one's wardrobe should correspond to the frequency of occasions. There's overlap, at least in what I view as an effective wardrobe. So portion control becomes a little harder to think about in concrete terms.

Here's a good time to bring in my favorite Food Network TV personality: Alton Brown. He's not fond of cookware tools that are uni-taskers and reveals most culinary tools to be polished versions of hardware store tools. Think about this for a moment. Granted that most outfits are put together in more than one piece, clothes in an effective wardrobe can become cross-over occasional multi-taskers. Still, there might always be that one dress you want for that one occasion. I know the feeling. I want a certain dress that's way over my budget (which is currently $0) and I want it for my friend's wedding. The only thing that keeps me from going over the deep end is thinking "when else will I wear it?"

Portion control is more a positive force when considering my bag problem. The thought opens me up to where I'm not so well rounded when in comes to my wardrobe. I only have one pair of dress shoes, and they're spectators (another blog). I lack paler business trousers & anything that would be more suitable for summer, save a summer funeral. Speaking of summer...

Elements of wardrobe portion control, I think, should take into account the climate. My wardrobe is overwhelmingly fall oriented whereas my location can be define as "hot" for more than 60% of the year. I'll save my reservations about summer apparel for another blog. I use to look around and be bewildered by the seasonal fashion of the students on campus, but it can't be helped if Fall is still in high 80s and 90s (degrees F), if flip flops and shorts are more comfortable on Christmas, and winter only lasts 2 weeks. I suppose there's a climate bias to fashion...assuming that the seasons come and go in regular intervals, then again, it could just be a Texas thing.

No comments: