Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Going on sale at Top Drawer Thrift near you (if you live near Austin, TX)




Before I started working, I would have qualms about donating goods that I thought I might be able to get some decent money for. Like Twice, one of my go-to cash for clothing sources, was bought out by eBay. There are similar operations, like ThredUp that give you even less than what Like Twice forked out and I even contemplated listing on PoshMark, but at some point one has to question if the hassle is even worth the small amount. I'm not as pressed for cash as I was before and now that philanthropy is less of a sacrificial option, I'm finding that to be more the direction I want to go.

Saying goodbye to clothes, hats, plushies, and shoes isn't sad as much as it is a little frustrating. I'm thankful that some of the clothes were useful at some point, but then there were also items that I thought had all the potential in the world when I bought them and that potential didn't amount to anything. It's kind of like when you find a piece of clothing or a pair of shoes and you get a flow of ideas for how you could make it work - this only successfully works in one area of my consumerism and that is with my penchant for cookwares and cooking tools. In the realm of clothing, shoes, and accessories, my creative vision is a little less prophetic...to the same degree that high heels are uncomfortable. If the last bit of joy I can get out of these items is knowing that their sale will help someone else, I'll take that.

No comments: