Monday, June 4, 2012

Betsey in the Day...

It's hard for me to keep up with the news, but it's not hard for me to keep up with suspicious going out of business sales. I learned about a week ago the Betsey Johnson LLC filed for bankruptcy protection. And now everything must go.

I can't really think of anyone coming close to another Betsey Johnson. While she'll still design for Steve Madden, and the brand will still live on primarily because Betsey Johnson the brand is still strong...something feels a little lost. I feel like Volvo was sold to the Chinese all over again.

I recall buying a rather funky cool vintage suit back in the day. The brand was Joseph Magnin. I did some research, and found the really cool department store posters, but Joseph Magnin is a world that I discovered had come to an end long before I got to know it. I can't help but feel that some people will probably end up feeling that way about Betsey Johnson - delightfully discover the brand and then discover it's gone. Part of the disappointment is that Betsey Johnson was...to some degree, kind of a gateway designer. What other designer makes crazy cupcake tea dresses that utilize girlishness and cuteness to bring you down a rabbit hole into the world of fashion?

They weren't too different in terms of funkiness. (left) Betsey Johnson scarf, (right)Joseph Magnin Department Store Poster
It's a depressing sale. Outlets will be open the longest as they'll get the material that other stores can't sell. Texas? That means San Marcos folks.

There's a little reluctance to go on my side. There's also a dress I long since have not been able to fit into anymore that I'm inclined to sell...but at the same time I want to keep. Who knows, I have a hunch that Betsey Johnson will develop an eBay cult following.

...still...I don't fit into that dress.

No comments: