Saturday, July 31, 2010

90s Style

Going off of a tangent of substitution and compensation, I'm going to diverge off into the realm of music for a little...because I feel like it, but also because of its mild relevance in how it influences style. And I happen to be a kid of the 90s. That said...

Kurt Cobain of Nirvana, TLC

Bel Biv Devoe, New Kids on the Block

What the heck WAS 90s style? (other than embarrassing) My sister when through a grunge phase. It's rather fun to haunt her with pictures from it. Developing one's style was rather hard in the 90s, what with the various popular music scenes (grunge, hip hop, pop - albeit pop happens to be dictated by the times always) and the very different resulting imagery. Very confusing times for the impressionable young thing I was, it didn't help that I had two elder sisters who were rather critical of the things I wore. On top of that, there were some aspects of 90's style that were so minimalistic that there wasn't much beyond a t-shirt and jeans. That most certainly was the boring aspect of the 90s; however, we did get compensated with some pretty awesome R&B and hip hop, even if the clothes were funny and the dancing was awkward, on the more independent college radio station here in town, they always tend to defer to 90's R&B. I suppose everything has it's time and place.

No comments: