Friday, May 2, 2008

College Warp

Ok. Sunrises are beautiful. Birth of a baby panda, that's beautiful. Finding that a Victoria's Secret Outlet has opened up in your local outlet mall, that's beautiful too.

The point I'm trying to get at is that words like beautiful or nice can easily be perceived differently. I think you know where I'm going with this.

In my teaching course, we had to give presentations on activities that were developed and tested. One of the girls presenting had the courtesy to dress "nice" for the class presentation. While I'll admit, she was more dressed up than anyone else who had presented, I'm not sure...well check that, I'm pretty sure that what she wasn't dressed the kind of nice that was meant for the occasion. She was wearing a corset type blouse that was rather low cut, that had puffy sleeves, a satin skirt with some diagonal detailing and stilettos, black patent with silver heels. School presentation? I'll give her props, it's the thought that counts here. She was dressed "nice" though her hair was in a rough pony tail. For the purposes of the presentation, the outfit was rather distracting.

I'm beginning to think, since my teaching class is a class on how to effectively teach math and science, it shows that we're more math and science oriented when it comes to a lack of interpretation of the English language. There's a date "nice," there's a professional "nice," there's a casual outing "nice."

There's a little view of the hard transition into professionalism that occurs during college.

No comments: