Saturday, March 11, 2017

For my sister: Facial Routine for Evening Out Tone

My sister and I have medium toned, combination skin. We fall in the light tan range.

What does this mean? We're more likely to tan than get sunburned because of the melanin in our skin and when it comes to getting acne, we're prone to getting dark spots (a.k.a. post inflammatory hyper pigmentation) on our skin after the acne heals. And those take forever to go away :(

I like talking skin care because I've really expanded my skin care regimen in an effort to target my skin issues. It's a lot like working out (not that I know a lot about working out) when I hear people talk about leg days, weight training, cardio, and such, it's not unlike my situation of looking at my skin and needing a mask, scrub, or sleeping pack. Also, it's nice waking up in the morning and seeing good looking skin.

I'll be tackling evening out skin tone.


Night Routine (assuming make up was worn during the day):

Makeup remover used as needed

1. Wash with an oil based cleanser. Cream or cleansing oil. 
   - this should help dissolve and remove a lot of makeup, dirt, and grime from the day.

2. Wash with a foaming cleanser
   - this should help remove any residual oil residue.

3. Wipe down with a toner. Something alcohol free would be preferred. 

4. Brightening serum or emulsion. Give 5 minutes to absorb before the next step, 5 minutes each if you use both a serum and an emulsion.
   - Sometimes brightening is referred to as "whitening" they're not skin bleaching products, but the term is more meant for something that will lighten the dark spots.

5. Spot treatment. Rub cream in and wait another 5 minutes for absorption. 
   - These are treatments specific to the problem, so in the case of Irene. Whitening and acne creams.

6. Night moisturizer. (Absolutely no skipping this step) 
   - Our skin type is combination oily/dry. Both of these occur at night where our skin gets oily in some areas and dry in other areas. The dryness can lead to dead skin flakes clogging pores and causing more acne. My previous dermatologist said that I didn't need a night moisturizer, but if it keeps me from oiling up and drying out over night, it's worth it. It's also cheaper than day moisturizer because of the no SPF.
 
I make the night routine more extensive just because I think most people have more time at night than in the morning and generally while you're sleeping your skin is recovering from the day and it's not as stressed.

Morning Routine (before applying makeup)

1. Wash with a foaming cleanser

2. Wipe down with a toner

3. Serum/Emulsion (optional, time permitting) Wait 5 minutes for absorption. 

4. Day moisturizer with SPF
   - Sister, the sun doesn't help our dark spots.

My intentions are to:
- treat problem spots
- improve skin quality
- minimize conditions for breakouts

No comments: